Sunday, April 28, 2013

Summer Ball Outfit Ideas

Just yesterday, the theme for our Summer Ball was announced and after endless intrigue, St. Aidan's can now begin to prepare for an 'Alice in Wonderland' evening. Over the Easter break, I was lucky enough to see 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden. This magical ballet has only recently arrived on stage and seems to manifest my love of theatre and dance in one performance! However, it was the exorbitant costumes and intricate attention to detail throughout the show wardrobe that captured my eye the most. The pointe shoes worn by the hookah smoking Caterpillar, illustrate the sheer indulgence of the costumes perfectly. Each shoe is fitted, then dyed an exact shade of royal blue before being hand-encrusted with 365 individual crystals:

Caterpillar pointe shoes as worn in The Royal Ballet's 'Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland'

As you can see, they are a thing of real beauty and I am so excited to translate the extravaganza of colour and costume I saw on stage into an outfit for our long-awaited Summer Ball! But for the time being, I have enjoyed dreaming up four outfit ideas, based on a handful of the well-loved characters in Charles Dodgson's novel.


'Alice': Dress at Virgos Lounge £92 Shoes at Nine West £95, Bracelet at Swarovski £99; Clutch at Next £30.
'The Queen of Hearts': Dress at Whistles £265; Monochrome Clutch at Karen Millen £35; Shoes at Schuh £70.

The 'Alice' look I have created is swarve and sophisticated. Inspired by the extravagant pointe shoes above, I have chosen a dress which has some 'sparkle'. I absolutely love the collection at Virgos Lounge and have recently gone a bit overboard in their 'flash sale'!! The highly embellished detailing which features throughout their range, is here applied to the capped sleeves of the dress and the overstated clutch and delicate bracelet continue this 'dazzle' throughout the whole look. I think this beautiful outfit does Dodgson's protagonist proud!

Next is the villain of the piece, but my own favourite. For 'The Queen of Hearts', I couldn't resist this striking orange maxi. The lace dress is listed on the Whistles website as 'the ultimate event buy', which I think is certainly true to say. In order to rein in the energy of this look, I have teemed the bold tangerine colour with monochrome accessories.

'The White Rabbit': Dress at Anthropologie £228; Clutch at Zara £69.99; Shoes at New Look £19.99.
'The Mad Hatter': Dress at Anthropologie £238; Shoes at Kurt Geiger £160; Pearl Bracelet at House of Fraser £25; Clutch at Ted Baker £99

For 'The White Rabbit' and 'The Mad Hatter', I have chosen two short dresses which I think reflect on the effervescence of their characters. Both dresses are from Anthropolgie, which I first discovered in New York a few years ago. It now continues to remain one of my favourite shops and I could spend hours and hours in the store on Regent Street! I absolutely love the Slim-Glint White Dress as a canvas for 'The White Rabbit' look. The sheen of the lace is so effeminate and would look gorgeous in the Summer sun! I chose to pop some colour into the outfit with duck-egg heels and a leather clutch from Zara. With an outfit like this, I would not want to be late for any important date!

The image of 'The Mad Hatter' conjures up all sorts of wild outfit ideas. However, I have chosen to base the look around a beautiful, vivid green dress. I think the delicate silk and lace materials makes the bold colour appear somewhat more subtle to the eye, so to make it all the more 'mad', I have paired it with bright fuchsia accessories. I don't usually wear a lot of pink, however I have fallen in love with these gorgeous silk court shoes from Kurt Geiger! Finally, I think a pearl bracelet finishes off the look really well, without adding any more colour. 

So there they are ... my take on four of the characters from 'Alice in Wonderland' for the upcoming Summer Ball - I can't wait!!


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Beleza By Ems | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig