Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Sally Hansen Sheerly Opal French Manicure Kit

For Summer Ball, I wanted to create a natural nail look so popped into boots in the search of an affordable french manicure kit. I finally settled on a safe bet with this one from Sally Hansen, which I picked up for a very reasonable £5.30. The set includes a French White Tip colour and also a natural overcoat - 'Sheerly Opal', both of which I have been really impressed with. 


Firstly, it is really easy to get on with the French White Tip lacquer. It is always difficult to achieve that 'salon perfect' finish when you're attempting a DIY manicure such as this. However, this varnish has really great pigmentation and is also very buildable - if you're looking to create a stand-out tip. The 'precision' brush is dainty and quite easy to handle, making it ideal for any nail length and shape, however don't expect too much from the word 'precision' as the applicator is just a thinner version of a standard nail varnish brush.

(Sally Hansen Hard as Nails French Manicure Kit, available here for £5.30.)

I was a little less won over with the 'Sheerly Opal' polish, which has a somewhat unnatural blue sheen. However, saying this, the staying power of the varnish is top-notch and lasted me a good few days. To create my natural look, I firstly applied a base layer of Leighton Denny's 'One For All', created a white tip with Step 1 and then sealed the white tip with a coat of 'Sheerly Opal'. To strengthen the nail and make the varnish last longer, I applied a final layer of Leighton Denny's clear polish. You can see the benefits of this gorgeous base and top coat in more detail, in my advice on Nail Health and Beauty for S|S 2013


I have been really impressed by the quality of this set for what I paid for it, but I think if I was to repurchase a Sally Hansen French Manicure Kit, I would go for the 'Nearly Nude' set, which doesn't seem to have that bluish sheen finish that I find quite unnatural. But ultimately, if you're after a DIY French Manicure set and you're on a budget, I would really recommend this.

What is your latest nail venture?


SHARE:

15 comments

  1. Great post! I love wearing sheerly opal on its own, it looks really pretty that way as well as over the top of other pinkish coloured nail polishes as a top coat :D

    claresloves.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not yet tried it out as a top coat yet Clare - thank you for the suggestion!! xxx

      Delete
  2. Wow your nails looks so lovely and healthy! Great review.
    Defiantly your newest fan!
    xx
    http://heroineinheels.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura!! Really enjoying your blog xxx

      Delete
  3. I think I'll try this, such a bargain :)
    great post, hope you enjoyed your summer ball
    chanelle jade x

    www.chanellejade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chanelle! Let me know how you get on with it if you do give it a go xxx

      Delete
  4. Super pretty! My newest nail venture was just posted on my blog! Although I'm not actually wearing them anymore! Currently deciding which of my polishes best matches my dress for a wedding I'm going to this weekend. So many choices!

    This it look amazing, your nails look so elegant and chic!
    Kallie, But First Coffee Blog OR But First Coffee on Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow they're so great Kallie - I love the blue spotty! Enjoy your wedding at the weekend! xxx

      Delete
  5. So pretty! I am way too much of a perfectionist to give myself a french manicure. Maybe I will have to try this though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a perfectionist too Meg - I love doing a French Manicure but it always takes me so long! Xxx

      Delete
  6. you have a very interresting blog. I am following you on bloglovin. would you like us to follow each other then please checkout my blog
    if you follow me I will follow you 1000% for sure.

    wwww.salonetiti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce, I'd love to! Just left you a comment on your blog xxx

      Delete
  7. This looks gorgeous! Lovely blog, followed on bloglovin :)

    Daisie Petals

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katy, followed you back and have just left you a comment on your blog :) xxx

      Delete
  8. I have this manicure set and I use it so much, as much as I love doing the full on French manicure look, I love wearing 'she rely opal' on its own as its so natural and femenine.
    Dalal x
    monochromedaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

© Beleza By Ems | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig