Monday, March 03, 2014

Fake Lashes: The MAC #20 Lash

In my opinion, the biggest asset to your make up and perhaps also the one element which can change a look the most dramatically, is lashes. A few weeks ago, I placed an order with MAC to stock up on a few of my cult products and at the same time, added these feathery beauties to my shopping bag - on a bit of a whim! At the moment, I'm really into my liquid liner and creating the perfect cat eye, and these really are the 'cherry on top' of a fabulously feline look. They are so wonderfully seamless that it hardly looks like you have fake eyelashes on, so much so that I'm trying to resist wearing them on a daily basis. This is the MAC #20 'half' lash...

As you can see from the photos above, the lashes look so natural that it hardly looks like you're wearing anything. The first set of photos is without eyeliner and simply a couple of coats of Lancôme's Hypnôse Star Mascara. The second set of photos are with the lashes on and once again, no eyeliner. Like all of MAC's eyelashes the strip is completely clear and once their infamous Duo Adhesive has dried, this is also completely transparent. Therefore, the lashes look completely natural when you're wearing them and they're SO lightweight, that it doesn't even feel like you have them on. As you can see, the effect is fluttery, flirty and very feline, as the lashes elongate towards the outer corners, flattering the natural shape of the eye. I think they look beautiful and I really cannot get enough of them! They look more like corner extensions than a strip lash and I would even go as far as saying that I prefer applying and wearing these half lashes, to a full length strip.

To apply them, I apply a thin line of MAC's Duo Adhesive (which is well worth it's £10 price tag if you're into your lashes) to the strip and then wait for about 10-15 seconds for it to dry a little. This will ensure the glue is easier to work with and the lash won't slip and slide all over the place! Then, holding them in the centre with a pair of tweezers, I press them as close as possible to my natural lash line and secure each corner. The glue is dry when it turns clear and then, you're good to go.

How I Wear Them


Look 1
Here, I've created a very 'top heavy' look, very much focusing on an amplified cat eye with a clean, sharp line. The under eye is very clean, with zero eyeliner and just one coat of mascara on the bottom lashes, to open up the eye. First of all, I used my ring finger to apply a generous amount of Estée Lauder ShadowCreme in a gorgeous gold, as a base. This helps the eyeshadow to stick and also really illuminates the eyelid, giving any shadow on top a gold undertone. Then, I used a trusty MAC #217 brush to blend in the slightly darker gold from my 'Surreal Skies' palette into my crease, building up the smokey effect with two darker colours from my favourite palette at the moment: the Rimmel Eyeshadow Quad in 'Brixton Brown'. Finally, to achieve a clean, sharp line, I swept L'Oreal's Perfect Slim across my upper lash line, brushed away any fall down and used MAC's Studio Sculpt Concealer to neaten up. This look concentrates pigment exactly behind the shape of the lashes, which really emphasises their feminine, feline shape. It's super flirty - perfect for a date night.

Products Used: Estée Lauder Double Wear ShadowCreme, Estée Lauder Five Colour Eye Shadow Palette in 'Surreal Skies, Rimmel Eyeshadow Quad in 'Brixton Brown' (two lighter shades), MAC MSF in 'Soft & Gentle', L'Oreal Perfect Slim Superliner. 



Look 2
Secondly, I've created a more dramatic look with much darker shadow, which recently, has become the look that I tend to go for on nights out with the girls! I've used the darker shades from the 'Brixton Brown' Rimmel Palette in the crease and Urban Decay's 'Crave' in the outer corners, to produce a softer, but more sensational eye. The highly tapered MAC #217 is perfect to soften that harsh line we created in the first look and for a similar effect, I've also taken the darker shadow under the bottom lash line to encompass the entire eye, rather than focusing a that 'top-heavy' feel. Finally, I've lined my top and bottom water line with my fave kohl eyeliner from MAC (Technakhol in 'Photogravure') which creates that dramatic contrast between the makeup and the eye. It's the perfect look for the dance floor, which just wouldn't be complete without the incredible #20 lash.

Products used: Estée Lauder Double Wear ShadowCreme, Esteée Lauder Double Wear Eyeshadow, Rimmel Eyeshadow Quad in 'Brixton Brown' (two darker shades), L'Oreal Perfect Slim Superliner, Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette 'Crave' and MAC Technakhol Eye Liner in 'Photogravure'.

So there you have it! A VERY in depth review of the MAC #20 lash and why I'm absolutely hooked. At £10, they're a middle of the road option between drugstore and high end, however, for the outstanding quality you're getting much more of a top standard lash, which can be worn more than once without looking 'spidery'. So - hands down worth ten bob! What are your favourite fake eyelashes?


SHARE:

6 comments

  1. BRILLIANT article!! and OMG your eyes are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! I really wish I was better at applying falsies but practice makes perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristen! That's just it - you get better every time! xx

      Delete
  3. They look amazing on you and I love the makeup you've done! I wish I had longer eyelashes, but I think I'd be rubbish at applying fake eyelashes!x

    libbyjade26.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Libby! I find that these half lashes are actually easier to apply than a full strip, so if you have a hard time getting them on, then I would really recommend these! x

      Delete

© Beleza By Ems | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig